Wednesday, July 20

Some things…

I woke up this morning around 6:15 and couldn’t fall back asleep, so I quietly went down stairs to the bathroom to change clothes and get washed up.
Let me tell you something.
                   
                              I cannot wait to take a shower.

Anyway, I went back to my seat and looked out my window for a bit. Same dull scenery.
Or so I thought.
I sat there, watching the rolling hills and dull brown grass, and it occurred to me that this was actually beautiful. Our human eye likes variety – we like to see many different things in one picture, and we like things to be busy. When something is plain or dull, we tend to pass over it with dismissal.
But as I watched everything pass by, I noticed just how many different shades of brown and yellow the grass was. I saw the different textures, the patterns of the clouds, and the sizes of the hills. Where else could I see something like this?

We continued on, and I lost interest and watched an Alias.

We stopped in Pasco, Washington, and I got off the train and called my Gramma to let her know I was fine and that I had enough to eat. She told me to be on he lookout for some really gorgeous scenery, as I was approaching the Columbia River Gorge (I think that’s what it’s called, anyway…).

I got back on the train and we were off again. I glanced out my window now and again, but nothing seemed to have changed.

And then BANG!, it did.

One minute it was brown and hills, the next it was gold, blue, and cliffs. Out one window were these magnificent cliffs that were just begging me to run out and climb them, and out the other was this amazing stretch of blue lake (the Columbia River?). Green grass and small ponds bordered the bottom of the cliffs, and as I watched I saw a small deer bounding up the side of one of the slopes. It was so close that I could make out small stripes on its feet and hooves.

                                   Some things can really make me see God.
                                                   For me, it’s animals.

(Just a small side note, there.)

The conductor just made an announcement.
Apparently we won’t be getting to Portland until noon.

9:46am - August 20th

4 comments:

  1. Love these details.
    Especially how you ended up finding it so beautiful when it first seemed dull.

    To point out beauty,
    to show it when others don't see it...
    it's what some people are supposed to do.

    -Anna
    (I feel weird signing after every one. :)
    And sorry if these are too long. Not that they're terribly long... but yeah.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, how was that first shower? Was it as good as you imagined? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Anna?

    they're not too long. Not at all :)

    ReplyDelete

If you're using an Open ID or Anonymous user, please sign your name at the end of your comment ~ Thanks! :)