Monday, June 25

Bill Cody Ranch...

Last night we stayed at this ranch called the Bill Cody Ranch, in western Wyoming. We pulled into the parking lot and, I admit, my first impression was not great. Oh sure, the view of the mountains and cliffs was beautiful, but I was more fixated on the fact that everything looked so.... fake, I guess. The cabins looked like something out of a toy factory (think of plastic link-n-logs), and the cars parked all over the place took away from the "wild" look I think they were trying to go for.





But then....... I actually got a look around.
                   And I realized I had judged, and I judged wrongly and badly.

The ranch hands were all kids fresh outta collage and needed a summer job. The owner - Bill Cody - was actually using the ranch as a sort of hobby (he lives in Texas and is quite wealthy on his own), so he doesnt really need the money that the ranch brings in. Instead, he uses that money to take care of his ranch hands and hires new people all the time, giving everyone a chance to live in the outdoors, work, and earn money for collage all at the same time.

Of course, I didnt know this until quite a few hours after we arrived.

My grandparents wanted to take a shower after our long day of riding in the car and dealing with all the vehical problems we've (well... they) have faced, so I took my laptop and walked down to the main lobby to use their internet to see if I could post a video on this blog. I was sitting there, probably looking timid and shy and typical city-kid, when all of the ranch hands suddenly came into the room, laughing and talking.

I wanted to sink into the couch and disappear, and i hoped they didnt notice me.

I got my wish. No one approached me or talked to me, and I sat down and continued to type away on my laptop.

*** Sidenote: Believe me, the accusing thought of "get off your stupid computer and go outside!" was constantly blaring in my head. But now, in order to leave, I would have had to push my way through the people to get out the door, and I didnt exactly feel very social. I decided to stay.

Pretty soon, the hands (all looking in their early 20's) gathered around the piano that was about 10 feet in front of me, and then they began to play and sing some country songs I know. I felt like I was intruding, but wouldn't it be rude of me to get up and leave during their song??

I shut my laptop and continued to sit, deciding to watch and study them and try to forget about the akwardness that I was feeling.

I watched as these young men and women laughed and joked with each other, all the while singing songs like Adele and Lady Antabellum. The laugh lines around their mouth and the spark in their eyes spoke that they loved what they were doing, and I couldnt help but smile along with them.

I decided then and there that I really, really liked this place.

When they had a break in their singing, I quietly slipped out, leaving them alone and ending my intrusion. I jogged back to my cabin (number 8), promptly tossed down my laptop on the bed, and grabbed my new sketchbook.

I suddenly wanted to make up for my time on the computer.

I hastened back outside, worried about the fading light (it was around 9pm), and sat down on a log to sketch a nearby cabin.

I can't explain it, but that evening was memorable. Sitting there on that log, the nearby creek gurgling, the daylight dimming fast, sketching for no real reason.... It was so peaceful. It was my moment of alone time after a day and a half of never having a moment to myself.

By the time I went back to my cabin, a feeling of content had settled within me, and I could feel the wisper in my heart saying,

Thank you, God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you're using an Open ID or Anonymous user, please sign your name at the end of your comment ~ Thanks! :)